Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 4! 1/4/2010

January 4, 2010- Day 4 of my 40 days of fit- Head, Heart & Hard Body!

The Heart Part:

“God has… planted eternity in the human heart.” Ecc 3:11

We were made for eternity. The most poignant understanding I had of this came a few years ago with my pastor was telling a story of a friend whose baby had died in his early hours of life from a rare genetic disorder. Just a year or so before, the baby’s older sibling died in her second year of life from the same illness. As he told the story I wondered to God, “Oh dear Jesus, how does any parent survive such loss?” And then he shared the friend’s response to these losses. God had told his friend that his precious children were made for eternity. So, it matters not exactly how long one is here… we are made for God’s pleasure and He makes us for eternity with Himself. That’s how that dad and mom survived… knowing that their children had a place and calling in heaven. Sometimes I am reminded of that story and I have to stop and pray for that mom and dad. God bless their hearts.

I often get caught up in the myriad of here and now. I mean, how could I not? This is all I know! I wonder how, if anything ever happened to Quinn, would I manage? Or, if anything happened to me, how would he manage? But when I think that way I limit God and his sovereignty. I realize I’m just being “human”… but it makes me wonder… do I really believe in God? (Yes, I do, but as I do, why aren't I more trusting?) Do I really trust that He has a plan that is beyond me? Am I really ready to do whatever it takes to live according to His purpose? All rhetorical… and I’m interested to get your take on the concept of God’s sovereignty, suffering and loss. I don’t mean to be a downer, sorry! It’s just that eternity is so hard for me to wrap my human head around, and so when the topic comes up I find myself a little uncomfortable.

I did find this quote in my reading today, though, that I love and want to become part of me. Rick Warren writes, “The closer you live to God, the smaller everything else appears.” God, shrink my vision! In other words, draw me close, close, close!


The Hard Body Part:

Well, today was Monday and due to Quinn & Todd both being home unexpectedly today, I did not keep to my schedule. I didn’t even come close! So, at 9:00 p.m. I started my workout. I am supposed to work out at 5 a.m.! Yikes! The bottom line for me is if I don’t do it first thing- make it the #1 priority, then the risk of me not doing it is high. But, as I am committed to 40 days and this blog, I did it. It was the cardio day of my workout schedule and the cardio is just 30 minutes long. So, to increase the calorie burning opportunity, I went for a second workout that was also 30 minutes. On Cox Freezone (I LOVE COX FREEZONE!!!!) I found a really fun workout under the “cardio” category that was titled something like, “Cardio Groove Burn”. It was a really fun dance workout. I got an opportunity to shake my bootie and add some sexy attitude! The 30 minutes flew by and though I felt silly doing hip circles, the salsa was quite exhilarating. If you are having trouble finding a workout that you are happy with, check out this video. Or, if you don’t have the Cox Freezone option, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders makes a fun dance video that I have tried which you can sometimes find at Walmart.

So, I have a confession to make. I’m ruining all my exercise effort by some seriously bad food choices. Blah. I love chocolate, sugar, bread, butter, anything fried (save for seafood), and several processed foods. (Though over the past few years of eating more “green” I have lost my taste for many processed items, which is good!) I literally snacked myself into exhaustion today. I know me- I pay attention to my body. When I eat simple sugar it only takes an hour or so before I could lay down wherever I am and take a nap. I get low blood sugar so easily. And though I don’t condone low carb diets (oh, they have worked beautifully for me… only for the short term because I just can’t handle how strict they are), I do know that the most energetic I have ever felt is when I had no sugar and limited carbs to those of the complex nature and only a few servings at that. Basically, I need to find my happy place with food. Any suggestions?

I do have several good, healthy breakfast foods I really like. I just need to make the commitment to say no to quick and easy toast and make something substantive for breakfast. Todd would enjoy that, too!

One of my former FAVORITE breakfasts, which I can’t have right now, b/c of lactose intolerance, is something I call Toast Fruit Compote. So simple and so delish! (And extremely healthy!) One piece of whole grain toast. 1 tablespoon (or so, as you like it) of cottage cheese (which I do not like, except in this), mashed up strawberries & blackberries (or other fruit that you enjoy and makes a nice syrupy consistency when mashed). Simply toast the bread, spread a little margarine on if you wish, then layer the cottage cheese and fruit compote. It is very tasty and oh so good for you!

So, related to my health goals (baby steps), I am getting my 64 ounces of water a day and I am moving every day. 4 days in a row so far. Where I am failing is my nutrition… but one step at a time. I’ll tackle nutrition next week!

The Head Part:

Okay, I am in so much trouble here! Quinn has strep and will be home until Thursday. My exam is Saturday. Today I got through about 20 pages of prep and got stuck on linear equations on a graph. This is like 7th grade math and I cannot get it! I got overwhelmed, left the library, hit a Starbucks, and then headed home where Quinn & split a chocolate cupcake. Yes, I know. Emotional eater. That’s me.

Tomorrow I will prevail. I hate sitting my little guy in front of the TV for hours while I study but the reality is he loves it. It won’t hurt him for a few days until I get over this hurdle. At least, that’s what I tell myself.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to check in. And let me know your ideas… seriously…what behavior change do I need on order to tackle this food issue? I ponder it, to no avail. I welcome your thoughts on the topic!

Loving you “on purpose”,

Natalie

3 comments:

  1. So interesting, your comments on eternity. I often find myself TELLING myself, "This DOES not matter from eternity's perspective" - yet, being almost 43 and still not married and wondering if I would even be able to conceive and trying to reconcile the apparent loss of a dream that I have tried to let go of so many times, yet feeling the Lord has kept telling me it WILL happen is hard.

    As for the food - those are all my struggles, as well. And when I eat bread (ahh - hot bread with butter - there is NOTHING better in my book) I feel all sludgy and pudgy. One thing I have tried that I have had moderate success with is "Vegan til dinner" - eating only fruits, veggies and nuts if you must until dinner and then having a nice meal. It gives me something to look forward to, and by then I feel so good about how I feel (NOT sludgy) that I generally can eat in moderation. This coming from a gal who has a serious goal of losing 20 pounds... but I have lost 6 pounds since Thanksgiving by largely doing this.

    Those are my thoughts - I sure enjoyed yours today - thanks for the honesty and consistency. what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your comments too Sohailah and I understand part of your unfulfilled dreams.... so to know I am in your company is a comforting thought but as an encouragement never give up on what God spoke in your hear!
    And Nat.... all I can say is change happens a little at a time..... one thing that really helps me is eating something every 2 to 3 hours... I know it sounds like I must be eating all the time but it's listening to the "hunger scale" - 1-10 1 being not too hungry and 10 being I am going to eat everything and the kitchen sink...and not ignoring that signal my body is telling me.... and then giving my body something... not a whole meal entirely, - mozzerella stick and a handful of almonds, or a fat free yogurt and almonds, or veggies with peanut butter...... and then eating a sensible at meal times.... now I do indulge for sure but by sticking with my 2-3 hour mini meals it gives myself the permission to choose what I want to eat- or do I really want that extra piece of ________________( you fill in the blank) because I know that in 2-3 hours I can eat something again.....
    don't deprive yourself because then you will want it twice as much later and eat twice as much too!

    Just a little tip for today..... hope it helped!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both IMMENSELY for the feedback. This is my first time to blog and it is such fun to receive other's words of wisdom!

    Soho, my darling friend, God knows your heart. I remember how difficult it was being single. I won't tirade on that subject here and now, but let's just say I came into my own fully was a wife. It was just what "I" needed to feel loved and accepted. Now as a mother, I came undone. Interesting, huh? but I believe I completely understand where you are are. I was in the same place many times. (and then got married in my 30's only to find out getting pregnant was no easy task at that point for me! Was I too late? God had other ideas but it was no easy road.)

    I love the vegan until dinner idea. And Ms. Tourna- I like your hunger scale perspective. I never think of that. Tomorrow I will give both of those strategies a try. And thanks for the reminder, "Change happens a little at a time." You know, I want to be superwoman. I want to do it right, right away!

    Thanks, again, ladies for reading my blathering and offering a part of yourselves to me. A treat for me, too!

    ReplyDelete